Saturday, August 15, 2020

The Maiden Flight Of My Wanderer FB72 Motor Glider

 Hello Everyone!  Dave Langkamp here once again.  I wanted to get this post out this morning while I had the time.  My sister from Tennessee had been visiting me over the past few days and while she was here we took out my newly designed and built six foot wingspan motor glider I named the Wanderer FB72.  The FB stands for foam board which the plane is built completely out of and of course 72 for a six foot wingspan.  With the plane being built out of foam the cost was very minimal.  Without the motor, servos, battery, etc the plane only cost $5.00 to build.  So even if I had totally crashed it the cost to replace it would be pocket change.  Well worth thinking about if you are starting out in RC flying.  

I learned all of this by watching the Flitetest crew online.  They taught me how to make the wings and learn to fly with their Tiny Trainer plane. 

My sister Velma was thrilled to see the air field in person and watch as I made the maiden flight along with several other flights for this big plane.  She shot some very nice video of the flights so I put together a short video of a couple of the flights and now have them ready to view here or directly on YouTube.  

To say my heart was racing with the first flight would be a gross understatement to say the least.  The motor glider as I said earlier has a six foot wingspan and weighs just a few ounces over one pound.  I managed to get the plane very well balanced so it is a real treat to fly.  As usual I fly in the evening at our field and so once again I had near perfect conditions to do the first flights.  

I have only a couple little tweaks I want to make on the plane but overall I am very please with how it all turned out and flew.  All the practice time I did with my trainer paid off with this plane.  Anyway check out the video I am sure that you will find it entertaining.  

If you click the arrow on the video above then the YouTube icon you will go directly to YouTube and be able to watch the video full screen on your computer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The New Motor Glider Winter Project Part 3

 With the snow cleared from my driveway this morning and another project sitting on my work table in my shop I thought it best that I get th...